· Lobbied for and helped design the Castle Downs Recreation Centre which opened in September
1989. Work on this project started in 1983. The Society donated $50,000 to furnish the Centre.
· Established a unique partnership with the YMCA, the City, and the Southwest Area Council that saw two new family YMCAs built in Edmonton. The Castle Downs YMCA opened in June 1998. Work on this project started in 1993. The CDRS raised more than $300,000 towards the YMCA’s $5 million capital fundraising campaign.
· Constructed the Castle Downs Water Park at the west end of Castle Downs Park. The CDRS raised about $200,000 to see this project completed in 1996. The park was designed with the input of students from Mary Butterworth Junior High. It was built with volunteer labour.
· Partnered with the City of Edmonton to build an indoor waterslide at Grand Trunk Pool. The CDRS and community leagues contributed $20,000 towards the capital cost of $65,000.
· Constructed the Castle Downs Skateboard Park that opened in June 2006. The CDRS raised $250,000 and received grants worth $250,000. The City invested $300,000.
· Redevelopment of the Playground/Water Park in 2010. ($2.4 M). The CDRS will contribute $300,000, the City $800,000, the province $500,000 and the federal government $800,000.
· Participated in the North East Area Councils Association to pursue a NE health centre.
· Annual Castle Downs Hockey School: an affordable summer hockey school.
· Free Saturday evening swim for community league members at the YMCA.
· Free Sunday afternoon swim for community league members at Grand Trunk Pool.
· Free Saturday skate for community league members at the Castle Downs Recreation Centre.
· Summer playground program at the Castle Downs Water Park.
· Summer skateboard park programs at the skateboard park.
· Various other programs have been offered over the years (e.g., teen dances, pre-school)
· Donations to various community groups on an application basis
· Total annual investment in programs = $10,000 per year; total investment to date = $200,000.
· Facilitated discussion on the Women’s Prison.
· Created a partnership with Canada Lands to ensure responsible development of the Griesbach
Communication and Public Involvement
· 1984 and 1993 Needs Surveys to provide a basis for lobbying and planning.
· Public meetings on program statements for the Recreation Centre, the YMCA and Water Park.
· Publication of the Castle News on behalf of the community leagues in Castle Downs.
· Co-sponsored Community Connexions with Social Services in the early 1990’s.
· Liaison with the EFCL through its District structure.
· Publication of a Community Directory in January 2001.
· Volunteer Appreciation Night
· Fundraising (bingos, casinos, auctions, Variety Show, fashion show) that generate an annual income of about $50,000. In addition we have received about $1.8 M in grants since the mid-1990s.
· Castle Downs Variety Show that is a fun fundraiser (close to $250,000 to date over 25 years).
· Shareholder and member in ENEBA Bingo Hall. Member in Kensington Bingo Hall.
· Productive partnerships with groups like the Castle Downs Family YMCA and Canada Lands Corporation
(the developer for Griesbach who provides a $5,000 donation to the CDRS each year).